Album Index for Album 0021: P19 Keeltrunk Project

Click on a link to view the Photo.

Album List |  View guest book |  View album as list of files

Size Caption
14123 Here's the original keel trunk in Redwing, hull #266, a 1985 Potter 19 built back when Joe Edwards owned the company. The walls were only 1/4" to 3/8" thick most of the way down, and only a little bit thicker at the bottom near the hull. It was the worst keel trunk I've ever seen on any P19 -- and I've seen at least 30 P19's! It was so flimsy it wiggled when the boat heeled. Nevertheless, it had made it through thousands of miles on the water and literally hundreds of groundings. The new ones built when Intenational Marine bought the company are much thicker and far stronger than this one.
22162 The massively overbuilt keel trunk on Jerry Barrilleaux's HMS18 #48, Sunshine. Sunshine was built in 1974. Herb Stewart, who designed the boat that later became known as the Potter 19, was also the builder.
11372 A shot of Redwing's new keel trunk, almost finished. (Bill F gets most of the credit for this project. He's a topnotch professional FiberGlass craftsman)
23381 Epoxying the top layer of plywood over the keel trunk. There's another layer of new plywood and new glass underneath this one. You can see the thickened epoxy oozing out from between the keel trunk and plywood. Afterwards, we trimmed the plywood.
14004 A close up of the aft edge of the trunk. We put an additional 8 layers of glass cloth on the aft edge and a couple of new layers of glass over the new plywood.
22759 We sanded the inside of the hull and put new tabbing from the trunk onto the hull. You can't tell from the picture, but each layer of tabbing is smaller than the previous one, so that flexing forces from the keel trunk are distributed evenly, with no "hard spots"
17543 A close up of the knee brace on one side of the trunk. It's been epoxied in and then glassed over and tabbed into the floor.
17972 Almost finished, just waiting for the final gelcoat. You can see the new marine plywood coring and the new knee braces. The blotchy looking yellow stuff on the trunk is fairing putty and the white stuff on the floor is fairing putty too.
12886 The new keel cap. Solid mahogany. The keel was faired, re-coated with epoxy where I had hit rocks a few dozen times, and given a fresh coat of Micron anti-fouling paint. By the way, I think a fiberglass cap would be stronger than the new wooden one, but the mahogany is soooo pretty.
10326 Another shot of the finished project.
23404 The locking mechanism I chose for Redwing is elegantly simple -- a piece of line from the keel cap to a self jamming horn cleat on the keel trunk. That's the way the original HMS 18's were set up. It takes about 3 seconds to lock or free the keel. You can leave a few inches of slack when sailing in shallow waters, to allow the keel to bump up. I've tried steel bolts, nylon bolts, and heavy-duty bungee cords. I think this is the best system!